We had aspired to complete phase one of the project (between junctions 16 and 19) by this Spring, however challenges to the project, including a delayed start to the work and additional essential maintenance works, have meant the programme has been extended to a revised completion date of by the end of December 2017.
We feel that this approach is the best way to ensure that work is completed as efficiently and cost effectively as possible. We are also actively seeking ways to accelerate delivery in order to complete the scheme sooner.
This scheme is the first phase of a wider smart motorways project where we are adding an extra lane in both directions by converting the hard shoulder to an extra traffic lane - increasing capacity and improving journey time reliability on this vital route.
The overall project will be completed well within our delivery plan target of 2021-2022, as set out in the Road Investment Strategy.
During the next month we will be:
- installing the new ducted infrastructure system which will be used to carry the cables to all of the technology sites
- installing the overhead electronic signs between junction 16 and junction 17, which will be completed by May 2017
- starting work to complete the majority of the drainage, earthworks, and emergency refuge construction between junctions 17 and 19
|Preliminary works||Autumn 2015 – November 2015|
|Construction starts||early 2016|
|Construction complete||end of December 2017|
Why we need this scheme
The M1 is:
- a strategic route for local, regional and international traffic
- a direct motorway route between north and south
- a major route connecting major conurbations
AimsThis scheme will:
- relieve congestion
- smooth the flow of the traffic
- improve safety
- improve journey times
- support economic development in the region
Project media files
|M1 Junctions 19 to 16 Digital PIE ||
|Summary of Statutory Instrument Consultation Responses ||
Roadworks and Events for England
The latest incident information for England's motorway and trunk routes provided by Highways England
Breaking News: Traffic Information
The latest current breaking news items for England's motorway network