The A45/A46 Tollbar End Junction improvement scheme has been completed. Local communities and the wider region are already benefitting from the scheme, which has reduced congestion and provided additional capacity. This has encouraged local development, providing improved employment opportunities and supporting the local economy. The scheme has improved pedestrian access around Tollbar End roundabout, with a new footpath and cycleway meaning improved safety for pedestrians, cyclists and road users.
Noise Insulation Regulations 1975 documents
You can view the Noise Insulation Regulation documents in our project document section.
Much planning went into reducing or eliminating any adverse impact on natural and built environments. We constructed new wetlands to provide pollution control and act as a flood prevention measure for water that runs off the road surfaces. We have also undertaken extensive seeding and planting of trees and shrubs throughout the project with more than 9,000 native trees and shrubs planted over the course of the scheme.
|1998||The scheme was first proposed in the Government published 'A New Deal For Trunk Roads in England'|
|April 2003||Following a public consultation and approval by Warwick local regional planning body it was entered into the Targeted Programme of Improvements|
|June 2003||The TR111 was issued to local councils|
|Spring 2005||We awarded an Early Contractor involvement contract to progress this scheme. For procurement purposes this scheme has been joined with the M40 Junction 15 Improvement scheme|
|2006||We developed the scheme further|
|March 2007||Public exhibition|
|Spring 2009||Draft Orders and an Environmental Statement for the scheme were published. A public exhibition of the proposals was held in Coventry|
|January/February 2010||Public Inquiry|
|April 2013||'Minded to' decision by the Secretaries of State|
|May 2013||Consultation on scheme modifications|
|July 2013||The decision into the 2010 Public Inquiry was published confirming that the scheme would proceed with some minor modifications works|
|August 2013||Made Orders published|
|August 2013||Start of advance works|
|November 2013||Start of works exhibition|
|January 2014||Start of main construction|
The scheme in detail
We have improved the A45 Stonebridge Highway and the Tollbar End roundabout in southern Coventry. This improvement was part of a package of works which also included the M40 junction 15 bypass.
- reduced the volume of traffic using Tollbar End roundabout by providing a 2 lane dual carriageway underpass link between the A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass and the A45 Stonebridge Highway
- enlarged the Tollbar roundabout and improved all the existing accesses
- widened the existing A45 Stonebridge Highway to a 3 lane dual carriageway between the new Tollbar roundabout and Stivichall junction to improve capacity and safety
- improved access by changing the junction of Siskin Drive and Rowley Road from a roundabout to a traffic light controlled junction
- installed traffic lights on the new Tollbar End roundabout with signals connected to those at the Siskin Drive and Rowley Road junction controlled to provide maximum efficiency in traffic flow
- installed new sign gantries and re-painted the lane markings to improve the northbound A46 Kenilworth Bypass approach to Stivichall junction and existing road signs in this area
- improved pedestrian access around Tollbar End roundabout and created a new footpath/cycleway along the southern side of the A45 Stonebridge Highway, linking the two junctions together
We have also constructed a new footbridge across the River Sowe to accommodate the new footpath/cycleway.
External document links
Project media files
Roadworks and Events for England
The latest incident information for England's motorway and trunk routes provided by Highways England
Breaking News: Traffic Information
The latest current breaking news items for England's motorway network