We assessed options for the A1 between Birtley and Coal House and asked for your views on these between 26 August 2016 and 7 October 2016.
The consultation is now closed. Thank you for your feedback, which we will take into account before we make a decision on the preferred route. In the meantime you can subscribe to email alerts about this scheme.
We expect to announce our preferred route in spring 2017.
|August to October 2016||Have your say|
|Spring/summer 2017||Preferred route announcement|
|TBC||Submit application to Planning Inspectorate|
|TBC||Scheme starts on site|
Why we need this schemeThis section of the A1 suffers congestion, particularly during peak hours, which can result in unreliable journey times. Traffic is also expected to grow with new housing and employment developments planned for the area. Road improvements are needed to support this growth. As part of the proposed scheme we plan to replace the Allerdene railway bridge, which carries the A1 over the East Coast Mainline. The current bridge was built nearly 40 years ago and requires regular maintenance that can cause disruption to traffic.
AimsWe’re designing this improvement scheme to deliver greater benefits for road users, local communities, and to support the region’s economy. Once completed it will:
- reduce congestion by increasing capacity for road users
- improve the reliability of peoples’ journeys and reduce delays by increasing capacity of the road network
- make journeys safer by improving the standard and capacity of the road
- help support economic growth by improving the road to the Newcastle and Tyneside area (Team Valley Employment Zone)
- support the government’s initiative for growth in the North
Project media files
Roadworks and Events for England
The latest incident information for England's motorway and trunk routes provided by Highways England
Breaking News: Traffic Information
The latest current breaking news items for England's motorway network